International Scholar Orientation
Scholar orientation at Emory consists of two simple steps: reporting your arrival electronically using the New Scholar Arrival e-form in ISSS Link, and then attending a mandatory orientation session at ISSS
Step 1: New Scholar Arrival e-form completion
- Your first official immigration responsibility at Emory is completing the New Scholar Arrival e-form in ISSS Link. For help logging into ISSS Link and completing the form>>>
- You must complete it within 5 days of your arrival in the U.S. and before you attend the scholar orientation session at ISSS.
- As you complete the e-form, you'll receive instructions to sign up for and attend a mandatory orientation session at ISSS.
Step 2: In-person orientation at ISSS (mandatory for all)
Note: To comply with social distancing guidelines resulting from COVID-19, ISSS will temporarily suspend in-person scholar orientations. We will email you a welcome message and instructions. We hope to continue the in-person orientations as soon as social distancing guidelines are relaxed.
After completing the New Scholar Arrival e-form in ISSS Link --
- J-1 scholars should attend a mandatory orientation session at ISSS no later than 15 days after your DS-2019 start date.
- All other scholars (H-1B, TN, O-1, E-3) should attend a mandatory orientation session at ISSS no later than 10 days after your employment start date.
If you don't attend orientation in a timely manner, your immigration status could be jeopardized.
Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled orientation. If you are late, you'll be asked to reschedule for another date.
Visitor parking near our office is limited. We encourage you to walk or take a shuttle. The E, M, and Loop shuttles stop in front of the North Decatur Building. The CCTMA and the Park-and-Ride shuttles stop on Burlington Road near our front entrance. Shuttle routes >>
Step 3: Review ISSS resources for new international scholars/employees.
- Visit the Life in the US section of the ISSS website which contains a wide variety of resources and information you may find helpful as you establish yourself in Atlanta.
- Check out the J-1 Scholar's Guide to Emory. Although some of the information in this guide is only relevant to exchange visitors in J status, all international scholars and employees may find the guide helpful and informative.