On-Campus Employment

In general, on-campus employment for international students means that you are working:

  1. On Emory's campus;
  2. For Emory; and
  3. On Emory's payroll.

If these 3 conditions are not met—for example, if you would be working on campus but a professor or an organization other than Emory University would be paying you—please speak with your ISSS advisor first. 

Note: J-1 students must obtain written on-campus work authorization from ISSS before your start date.  Read below for more details. 

F-1 students

As an F-1 student, you can work up to 20 hours per week on campus without separate employment authorization, but you'll need to get a social security number. To apply for a social security number, you need an employment offer letter. Download a template letter >>

Guidelines and restrictions

  • When you first enter the country in F-1 status, your first day of employment should be no earlier than 30 days before classes start.

  • While school is in session, you can't work more than 20 hours per week. During the summer and other breaks, you can work full time.

  • You can't continue employment after you've finished your program of study, unless you have a new I-20 for a new program of study.

  • You can only work at the school that controls your SEVIS record. If you are attending 2 institutions at the same time, you can only work on the campus that issued your I-20.

J-1 students


You can work on campus during the academic year if you:

  • Are in good academic standing
  • Are enrolled in a full course load (except during breaks)
  • Will work no more than 20 hours per week. During the summer and other breaks, you can work full time.
  • Get written authorization from ISSS before your start date, and renew it every 12 months. Any changes will require new written authorization from ISSS and updating hiring paperwork with your Emory hiring department. 

Authorization process

  1. Log in to ISSS Link and fill out the J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization e-form.
  2. ISSS will create a letter authorizing your on-campus employment.
  3. Send a copy of the letter to your hiring manager to begin the hiring process.
  4. Apply for a social security number. Take another copy of the letter, your immigration documents, and your signed employment offer letter (view template letter) to a Social Security Administration office. Find an SSA office >>
  5. Contact Emory's nonresident tax specialists for information about your tax treaty benefits and help filling out your tax paperwork.

Finding a job


  • You can search for on-campus jobs through EagleOps.
  • Watch for the career fair held on campus at the beginning of each semester.
  • Visit Emory's Career Center for help with your resume, applying for jobs, interviewing, and more.
  • J-1 students can only apply for private student assistant jobs funded by the department itself.