Withdrawing from Emory

Each school has its own process for withdrawals.

If you are planning to leave your program for any reason, please contact your ISSS advisor to discuss your situation. If you don't let ISSS know about your withdrawal before it is recorded by your school, it's a violation of your immigration status.

Voluntary withdrawal (no degree)

Before your withdraw from your classes, email your ISSS advisor to request an authorized early withdrawal from the F-1 or J-1 program. 

Your ISSS advisor will terminate your immigration record, and you will have a 15-day grace period to leave the United States. An authorized withdrawal won't have any negative impact if you decide to apply for readmission later.

If you don't get authorization for your withdrawal, you might not be able to apply for re-admission, and you might have problems at the port of entry.

Termination from the program (no degree)

If you are terminated from your program for academic reasons, you'll have to leave the US as soon as you're notified of your termination. In this case, voluntary withdrawal from your immigration status is not a legal option.

If you think you might be terminated from your program, let your ISSS advisor know as soon as possible. That way, they can help you understand and prepare for the immigration-related effects of termination.

Terminating with a master's degree

Some doctoral students in the Laney Graduate School can apply for a terminal master's degree if they are leaving their PhD program early.

If you want to apply for a terminal master's, let your ISSS advisor know before the change takes place so that they can update your immigration document.

They can also help you prepare for post-completion employment authorization or transfer to another institution.