Employment & Program Changes

When you make changes to an international scholar's employment—such as a promotion, a reduction in work hours, or extending their stay in the US—there are often additional immigration-related procedures that your department and the scholar will need to follow. Typically the hosting department is responsible for initiating these procedures.

We encourage you to discuss any employment changes you're planning with your department's ISSS advisor, who can advise you about how those changes might affect your scholar's immigration status.

If your department is hosting a J-1 Exchange Visitor sponsored by an organization other than Emory (such as Fulbright), the J-1 scholar should contact the sponsor directly about their procedures.