F-1 Employment with an International Organization

If you have a written offer of employment from an international organization such as the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, or others, you can apply for employment authorization through US Citizenship and Immigration Services. It will be valid for 1 year, and there is no waiting period.


As an F-1 student, you can apply for authorization to work with an international organization if:


  1. Fill out an I-765 form. In box #16, write (c) (3) (ii). Instructions >>
  2. Schedule an appointment with your ISSS advisor. You should bring:
    1. 2 passport-style photos. Photo requirements >>
    2. Your filled-out form I-765
    3. Job offer letter from an approved international organization, with a job description, your start date and end date
    4. Check payable to US Department of Homeland Security
    5. Copies of all previously issued I-20s (pages 1 and 3)
    6. Copy of any previous EAD cards
    7. Copy of your I-94
    8. Copy of the ID page of your passport, plus any extension pages
    9. Copy of your most recent F-1 visa
  3. Your ISSS advisor reviews your documents and discusses your eligibility with you. During this appointment, ISSS creates a new I-20 for you to sign.
  4. ISSS mails your application to USCIS.
  5. If your application is approved, USCIS mails an EAD card to ISSS.
  6. ISSS emails you when your EAD card is ready for you to pick up.