Transferring from Emory
As an F-1 student, you can transfer to another school during your current program or after you finish your program.
- Let your ISSS advisor know that you want to transfer to another school.
- Give your ISSS advisor a copy of your admission letter from your new school.
- Discuss the timing of your transfer with your ISSS advisor and the Designated School Official (DSO) from your new school, and determine when Emory should release your SEVIS record to your new school.
- Report to the DSO at your new school within 15 days of your program start date on your new I-20. This completes the transfer procedure.
As a J-1 student, you can transfer from Emory to another program if you:
- Will continue pursuing your original exchange visitor program objective.
- Are in good academic standing
- Have maintained your J-1 status
- Are within the time limits listed on your DS-2019
Let your ISSS advisor know that you want to transfer to another program.
Discuss your transfer date with your ISSS advisor. Your advisor will determine the best date to set for releasing your SEVIS record to your new program. If you will stay in the US between programs, the release date must be on or before the current program end date on your DS-2019.
The RO at your new program might ask your Emory ISSS advisor to fill out a transfer form to complete the transfer process. The RO at your new institution will then have access to your SEVIS record and will create a new DS-2019 for you.
Check in and report to your new program within 30 days of your new program start date.