New F-1 I-20 design - previous version expires July 1, 2016

As you may know, the US government updated the design of I-20 documents for F-1 students and F-2 dependents. I-20s with the old design will remain valid through July 1, 2016. After that date, all students in F-1 status and their dependents will need a new I-20 with the updated design.

Most students who need them have already received I-20s with the new design.  Please review the information below and, if necessary, request a new I-20 through ISSS Link.

Q: What does the new I-20 look like?

A: Here is a comparison between the old and new I-20 designs:


Q: I have the new form. What do I need to do?

A: Please review your I-20 to be sure that all of the information on it is correct. Beyond that, there is nothing you need to do right now.

Q: I have the old form. How do I get a new one?

A: If you plan to get a travel signature or apply for CPT or OPT before the July 1 deadline, you don't need to request a new form right now. You will get an updated form when you come to the ISSS office for your signature/application. Otherwise, you can request a new form through ISSS Link.

Log in and navigate to F-1 Student Services --> I-20 Update/Replacement Request. Complete the e-form and choose “New Design” from the drop-down menu. You can request new documents for your dependents at the same time. Once you have submitted the e-form, you will receive an email from our office to let you know when your new I-20 is ready.

Q: I'm on OPT. Do I still need a new design I-20?

A: Yes. All students who will be in F-1 status on or after July 1, 2016 need an I-20 with the new design. Please follow the instructions above to request your form. When you visit ISSS Link, you will probably need to log in through the Limited Services section on the right side of the page.

If you are on OPT and working outside the Atlanta area, you can arrange to have your new document sent to you. Information about having your document mailed will be included in the notification you receive when your new I-20 is ready.

Q: I'm graduating in May and will be leaving the US before July 1. Do I need a new I-20?

A: No. If you will complete your program and depart the US before July 1, you do not need to request a new form.

Please let us know if you have any questions about the new I-20. We are glad to assist in any way we can.