Immigration Status Options

The type of visa your scholar needs depends on the type of work they'll do here, and ISSS will help your department decide which visa is the best choice. For a brief overview of the different immigration status types, download our "Choosing the Right Immigration Status" handout.

Below are some frequently used immigration categories at Emory.

J-1 status

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program promotes cultural and educational exchange between US citizens and foreign nationals. It provides international students and scholars with opportunities to participate in exchange programs in the United States and then return home to share their experiences. J-1 exchange visitors can come to Emory in one of several student or scholar categories. More info >>

Keep in mind that hosting a J-1 exchange visitor comes with additional responsibilities for your department.

H-1B status

H-1B status is used for people who will perform services in a specialty occupation on a temporary basis. At Emory, it can be used to bring temporary faculty, researchers, consultants, administrators, or other professionals to the US. More info >>

O-1 status

O-1 temporary workers possess extraordinary ability, have risen to the very top of their field of endeavor, and are coming to the US to continue work in their area of extraordinary ability on a temporary basis. More info >>

TN status

TN status allows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in certain professions in the US on a temporary basis. More info >>