Resources & Emergency Protocol

For life-threatening emergencies, contact 911 if you are off campus or Emory Campus Police at 404.727.6111 if you are on campus.

ISSS has created wallet-sized emergency contact cards for you to carry for reference in the event of an emergency. Pick one up from our office!

Travel Signature/Validation Concerns

Please note that these instructions only apply to individuals in F or J status.

If you are reviewing this information during an official Emory University holiday closure, please note that ISSS will prioritize travel signature requests upon the reopening of the office. If you are in need of a travel signature/validation, please submit the necessary e-form request through ISSS Link and ISSS will review the e-form upon reopening.


Did you forget to obtain a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 before departing the US? Or are you unable to locate your I-20 or DS-2019?

Please see the Frequently Asked Questions below for instructions regarding what to do if you are missing a travel signature or if you do not have your I-20/DS-2019.

Can I enter the US using a tourist visa? 

Please do not attempt to enter the US as a tourist. US immigration law prohibits taking classes while on B or Visa Waiver (aka ESTA).  Doing so will have immediate and long-term negative consequences.  Also, changing immigration status within the US normally takes 8-12 months, and during the application pending period, enrolling in courses is not permitted. 

If I do not have my I-20 or DS-2019 with me, will I be able to re-enter the US?

If you do not have your I-20 or DS-2019, it is possible that your airline will not let you board a US-bound airplane.   If possible, ISSS recommends that you change your flight schedule so that you will have your original I-20 or DS-2019 as you board your US-bound flight. You can request a replacement document via ISSS Link. You may also arrange to have the documents shipped to you, at your own expense, by creating a shipping request in eShipGlobal. Instructions can be found here.

What will happen if I try to enter the US without a valid travel signature?

If your airline allows you board the plane without a valid signature, there could be three (3) possible outcomes at the US airport upon arrival:

  • The immigration inspector might just rely on your electronic SEVIS record in their system and admit you into the US for “D/S” which means a full duration of status/studies.
  • The immigration inspector might admit you for 30 days under the I-515A temporary admission provision. 
    • If this happens, please come and meet with you ISSS advisor immediately (within two business days) as this is time-sensitive. 
  • The immigration inspector might not let you enter the US. 

Can ISSS send me a digital copy of my I-20/DS-2019?

The US government doesn’t permit distributing/sharing copies (scanned, faxed, emailed, etc.) of immigration documents.  That is against the US federal law.  We can only share a copy with the US Department of State and Department of Homeland Security.  So, if an airport in your home country has a DHS office (as some international airports do), a US DHS officer could request a copy of your I-20/DS-2019 from ISSS.   

What should I do if I experience difficulties when going through US Customs?

Should you encounter any difficulties at the airport, please calmly ask an immigration officer to call Emory ISSS at 404-727-3300 (during business hours) or 404-727-6111 (outside of business hours).  The latter number is available 24/7 as it connects to Emory Police, and they know how to reach an ISSS on-call person.

Immigration emergencies

What to do if you experience an immigration-related emergency, such as:

  • Loss of your passport or other important documents while overseas
  • Visit by government officer at home or on campus (note: do not sign anything. Politely ask a government officer if you can call Emory ISSS or your home country consulate)
  • Detainment at U.S. port of entry like airports (note: do not sign anything. Politely ask an immigration officer if you can call Emory ISSS or your home country consulate)
  • Threat of deportation (note: do not sign anything. Politely ask an immigration officer if you can call Emory ISSS or your home country consulate)

If during normal office hours (8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.), call ISSS at 404.727.3300.

If outside of regular office hours, call the Emory Police Department at 404.727.6111 and their dispatcher will connect you with an ISSS staff member.

Other emergencies

If you are on campus, contact Emory Police Department at 404.727.6111. If you are off campus, call 911.

You may experience an emergency such as:

  • Car accident
  • Criminal activity
  • Missing persons
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Homicidal thoughts
  • Natural disasters (tornado, flood, etc.)
  • Sexual assault and misconduct 
  • Violence
  • Other incidents

Campus Resources

ISSS is here to help you during our office hours, but you may want to take advantage of these resources on campus for other issues such as:

  • Culture shock
  • Stress
  • Conflicts with classmates or professors
  • Financial problems
  • Scams
Counseling Center 404.727.7450
Residence Life 404.727.7631
Student Health 404.727.7551 Patient Portal
Emory Helpline (9 p.m. – 1 a.m.) 404.727.HELP (4357)
Student Intervention Services 404.430.1120
Faculty Staff Assistance Program 404.727.4328
Office of Equity and Inclusion 404.727.9867